Bruschetta is a fresh, simple and delicious Italian appetizer that can be prepared in minutes and enjoyed any time of the year.
Makes 24 small slices, serves 6-10 as an appetizer
- About 1.5 lbs of cherry or roma tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1.5 Tbsp Cazzetta EVOO (Garlic or Basil Infused works well too)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced* or chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) EVOO
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) - use the upper rack.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and garlic, mix in a bowl with 1.5 Tbsp of EVOO. Stir in the salt, as well as the basil.
- Slice the bread of your choosing into half-inch thick slices.
- Brush one side of each slice with olive oil and place olive oil-side down on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Put slices in the oven on the top rack and toast until golden brown (approx. 5 minutes).
- Arrange bread olive oil side up on a platter and spoon tomato mixture on each slice.